13 Siblings Found in “Horror House”

David and Louise Turpin pictured with their 13 children, that were found malnourished and some chained in their home.

Anna Smearman, Photo Editor

On Sunday, January 14, 2018, 13 siblings, ages ranging from 2-29, were found in a local Perris, California house. They were malnourished, some even chained to their beds.

David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, have been charged with torture, abuse, false imprisonment, and child endangerment. David Turpin has been additionally charged with performing a lewd act on a 14-year-old. Each parent is being held on a $12 million bail.

One of the children, a 17-year-old girl, escaped through a window, stole a deactivated cellphone, and called the police. She stated that she and her siblings were being held against their will, with photos for proof.

The 17-year-old had been planning the escape for two years. She originally escaped with one of her 12 siblings, but they became frightened and returned to the house.

“We do need to acknowledge the courage of the young girl who escaped from what residence to bring attention so they could get the help that they so needed,” Capt. Greg Fellows of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said during a news conference.

None of the siblings were allowed to shower more than once a year, and ate rationed food once a day.

In a State Department of Education directory, David Turpin is listed as the principal of Sandcastle Day School. The schools enrolled six students – one each in fifth, sixth, eighth, ninth, 10th and 12th grades – in the 2016-2017 year.

One of the eldest children was driven to a local community college by Louise Turpin. Once the class was over, he immediately walked back to the car, that Louise waited in, and went home.

“They weren’t allowed to watch TV. They weren’t allowed to have friends over – the normal things that kids do,” Teresa Robinette, the aunt of the children, said to the Chicago Tribune.

The Turpin’s have pleaded not guilty to the charges and will appear in court on February 23.