Personius’ Message to Underclassmen: Be True to Yourself

Alyssa+Personius

Durant Yearbook

Alyssa Personius

Meghan Dulay, Editor-in-Chief of Design

Alyssa Personius is among the top ten students of the class of 2020 that has worked exceptionally hard to get her where she is today.

Not only is she academically driven, but she’s also very involved in multiple community-service based clubs. From the time she set foot on Durant, she was instantly captivated by how involved Durant students are in the community, and knew she wanted to be a part of that. The Students All Connected Club (SAC) was one of the first clubs that she became involved in, as it provided her with the opportunity to develop leadership skills that she will be able to utilize in college, as well in a future career.

Through her involvement in several clubs, she found that she was not just becoming involved more in the school, but that she was becoming a part of a family. With the help of many students and teachers, the Durant family was one she was proud to be a part of, and one she will never forget. “A lot of people at Durant have influenced and made a significant impact on me, but a few that stick out in particular are Mrs. Griffith, Mrs. Shaw, Mrs. Scolaro, and Mrs. Fearon,” Personius mentions.

After high school, Alyssa plans to attend the University of Florida where she intends to pursue a career in architecture and design. Her interest in art along with her mother’s occupation as a real estate agent allowed her to develop an interest in studying art and design; she wants to one day design houses herself.

“My favorite memories of Durant are the pep rallies, especially when our class won. I love to think back to our first pep rally we won freshmen year, and singing with the whole school.””

— Alyssa Personius

The spirit of Durant will always come to Alyssa’s mind when she thinks back to her high school years. Compared to other high schools, Durant has a unique family-like environment. From the football games to the theatre plays, each club and student serve an important role in creating Durant’s big family. To Alyssa, pep rallies were among her favorite experiences, because they were the few times a year that the whole school got together and celebrated what it means to be a Durant Cougar. “My favorite memories of Durant are the pep rallies, especially when our class won. I love to think back to our first pep rally we won freshmen year, and singing with the whole school,” Alyssa says.

As senior year wraps up, Alyssa, along with every other senior, prepares for a new life ahead. Being a freshman is not an unfamiliar feeling to seniors, and so Alyssa leaves off with a word of advice to the incoming freshmen at Durant. “The best advice I could give to a freshman is to be unapologetically yourself and to always be outgoing. I feel like as a freshman and sophomore I would hold back a lot and not want to say what I felt, but that doesn’t get you anywhere.”