Durant Hockey Team Finishes a Great Season

Plant City Observer

The Durant hockey team makes it all the way to the Lightning High School Hockey League during the 2019-2020 season.

The Durant hockey team had an outstanding season led by Captain Christpoher “CJ” Comunale. They were also led by Alternate Captains: Michael Romeo, a junior at Durant High School, Jordan Putnam, and Xander Wise, both juniors at Strawberry Crest High School. 

With Comunale being injured at the beginning of the season due to an injury, he only played 13 games. Yet, the team stepped up to make it all the way to the second round of the playoffs.

Durant has two goalies. Ryan Putnam, a freshman at Strawberry Crest High School, who was one of the best goalies in the league. He ended the regular season with a record of 8 wins, 3 losses, and 3 ties. Will Chabalowski, a sophomore at Brandon Academy, also had a great season with a regular season record of 4 wins, 1 loss, and 3 ties.

Durant’s top scorer was Jordan Putnam. He ended with 21 goals and 16 assists. Rising star, Ethan Carstens, a freshman at Durant High School, ended with 13 goals and 13 assists. With Comunale back towards the end of the season, yet only playing 13 games, he had 8 goals and 13 assists. Durant also had very strong defense and will continue to improve their game

Durant faced Bloomingdale High School’s hockey team in their final game of the regular season and won the game by a final score of 3-1. Durant would end their 2019-20 season with a record of 12 wins, 4 losses, and 6 ties.

Durant would then go on to the first round of the playoffs and they would defeat Jesuit High School 6-3. The goals in the game for Durant came from CJ Comunale, Michael Hemmeke, Colin Smargon, Xander Wise, Ethan Carstens, and Robert Noble.

Durant went on to the division finals to face Jenkins High School. Durant would fall behind 4-1 entering the third period. Yet, the team would not go down without a fight. Durant would score four goals in the final period. Jenkins would win the game 7-5 going all the way to the Lightning High School Hockey League finals to face Seminole High School. 

Durant’s season did not end there. Durant went on to the 2020 SAHOF States tournament, a three day tournament for tier one and tier two teams that made the playoffs. Durant played a total of three games in two days. 

They then played  Boca Raton High School and Durant won the game, 8-2. The next day, Feb. 23, 2020, Durant lost to Miami-Dade High School 5-0 but later that day they were  eliminated from the tournament by Southwest Broward losing in a shootout, 4-3.

Durant had a great season and we wish them the best of luck for the next season.