Baby Yoda takes over the world

Oprah Magazine

The adorable "Baby Yoda" captured the hearts of Disney+ users, as well as the rest of the Internet. Social Media exploded with memes showing admiration for the creature

Mattie Powers, Staff Writer

Disney Plus, the latest streaming service, has and continues to come out with many of its own original TV shows and movies, including High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, Diary of a Future President, Stargirl, and many more.

One of Disney Plus’s more popular shows, The Mandalorian, has had a more attention than all of the other shows. The reason for all of this attention toward the show is because of one tiny aspect, a little character that Star Wars fans indicate as “Baby Yoda.”

The Mandalorian is the first live action Star Wars television show that takes place on the official Star Wars timeline between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and it is inspired by the classic Star Wars character, Boba Fett. This television show stars prior Game of Thrones actor Pedro Pasco, former mixed martial artist Gina Carano, and successful actor Carl Weathers. They all play such important roles in the television show, but the one character to pay attention to is Baby Yoda.

“Baby Yoda” refers to a character in the Star Wars series named Yoda, who was a wise master in the Star Wars franchise. In The Mandalorian, “Baby Yoda” is not the actual name of the character, it is officially called “The Child,” but with its resemblance to Yoda from Star Wars the Internet has taken the liberty to give it the name “Baby Yoda.”  From this television show, Baby Yoda has gone viral throughout the Internet creating videos, art, memes, and even merchandise. 

ShopDisney has taken this opportunity to create merchandise that is exclusively dedicated to Baby Yoda. On their website, shopdisney.com, when “Baby Yoda” is typed into the search bar, Baby Yoda shirts, water bottles, phone cases, plushes, bags, and even mugs will pop up for anyone to shop until their heart’s content.

Along with ShopDisney, big companies like Build-A-Bear Workshop are getting in on all the action. The CEO of Build-A-Bear Workshop, Sharon Price John, has recently announced that Baby Yoda will soon be available at Build-A-Bear Workshops nationwide. Baby Yoda is inspiring almost every audience, whether it is someone making a meme, outfit, or baked good, everyone is able to be enthused by Baby Yoda.

Baby Yoda has taken over the Internet since The Mandalorian introduced this character to the world. This popularity for Baby Yoda has definitely made a big impact not only for the television show itself, but also the Internet. There are multiple things that make Baby Yoda wildly popular; he has power within him, a sense of mystery about him, and most importantly, he is a very adorable creature. All of this draws the viewer’s attention to Baby Yoda, thus outlining his fame. 

Baby Yoda has stolen the hearts of all of its viewers and has gone viral because of his lovable persona. With The Mandalorian exceeding the crowd’s expectations with Baby Yoda, there should be much more to anticipate out of the popular television show.