Melanie Martinez ends hiatus with K-12 film and album

This is the album cover for K-12, Melanie Martinez's new school themed album

Melanie Martinez

YouTube

Adamari Jaimez, Staff Writer

Melanie Martinez is an American singer and songwriter. She is known to be an adult baby because of her two front baby teeth that never fell out, her aesthetic style, and her two-toned hair inspired by the Disney character Cruella De Vil.

She rose into popularity as a contestant for the American reality show, The Voice. In her audition to the show she did a cover on the song ‘Toxic’ by Britney Spears. With her guitar and gifted voice, Melanie was known to become one of the most successful contestants on the show. She later produced her debut single ‘Dollhouse’ and then her album “Crybaby” which was a major success for her singing career.

Most of her songs revolve around her personal experiences expressed throughout her songs in different themes such as romance and family issues. Her classmates use to call her a crybaby for being very sensitive and emotional and she used it as an inspiration for the title of the album “Crybaby.”

Melanie released a new album and film on September 6th, 2019 known as K-12. She began working on the album in 2015 and finished it in early 2017. The album consists of 13 tracks. Some include “Wheels On The Bus”, “Strawberry Shortcake”, and “High School Sweethearts”.

She also created a musical film using the songs from the album to tell a story. Melanie plays the role of Crybaby, a strong and sensitive girl, who is sent away to a disturbing sleepaway school.

In the film, Crybaby acts as a narrator as the story is being told by her perspective of the place and its surroundings. Melanie sends a lot of hidden messages within her film and songs revolving around anti-bullying and other problems related to the real world.

Her album and film reached number two trending on YouTube. The K-12 CD and DVD is available on the Melanie Martinez merch site and in stores including Hot Topic, Barnes and Noble, and Target.

The K-12 tour will begin in October of 2019 and tickets can be found on the Ticketmaster website. Some of the cities she will be going to include Atlanta, GA, Houston, Texas, and many more. Melanie Martinez has grown in her singing career coming back strong with the K-12 album and film having her fans off the edge of their seats.