Durant High School Journalism

• Senior ad deadline extended to this Friday! Visit room 451 for more info

• Attendance incentive for 12/7. Don't miss more than 4 days!

• Swim moves on to City Relays on 10/23. Good luck swimmers!

‘Maze Runner: The Death Cure’ is an explosive ending to a spectacular series

Back to Article
Back to Article

LiveMint

LiveMint

LiveMint

Aneesa Anderson, Photo Team & Staff Writer

Epic, riveting, compelling, adventurous; these are all words that can be used to describe the third and final Maze Runner film that hit theaters in late January.

Wes Ball’s Maze Runner: The Death Cure is the fast-paced, action-packed conclusion to the popular series, The Maze Runner. Based off of the book The Death Cure by James Dashner, the long-awaited finale to the franchise ties all of the loose ends that arose in the first two films.

Like other young adult movies before it, such as The Hunger Games and Divergent, Maze Runner: The Death Cure takes place in a dystopian society years in the future. The movie is centered around a group led by Thomas (Dylan O’Brien) who desperately try to free their friend, Minho (Ki Hong Lee), from WCKD, a government corporation created to eradicate a virus that has proved to be the end of the world. The corporation, though trying to find a cure for the deadly virus that has wiped out more than half of the world’s population, conducts tests on children and teenagers that are less than humane, and with the help of some newfound allies, the group works to steal back their friend and take down WCKD.

The film takes place six months after the end of the previous movie, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, and the audience sees the characters in the same barren land that they left off in.

From the opening sequence, the film leaves its audience on the edge of their seats with nerves and excitement as the characters are engaged in a high-speed chase with a train that is transporting Minho and hundreds of other kids to the WCKD facility.

tube.hk

As a long-time fan of both the books and movies, I had high expectations going in, but I did not expect to be as utterly moved by the movie as I was. I was blown away by the emotions that I felt while watching the film. The complex characters and themes combined with the remarkable acting and cinematography easily made Maze Runner: The Death Cure my favorite movie of all time. Though it changes some elements from the books, the movie, for the most part, stays true to the original storyline, and satisfies all of the die-hard Maze Runner fans like myself.

The film is categorized as a sci-fi action film, but it is not all fight sequences and explosions. Many action movies nowadays tend to focus too much on the action and leave little time for viewers to get to know the characters and their personalities, but this is not the case with Maze Runner: The Death Cure. Throughout the film, the audience sees plenty of action and chaos, but also get to see many raw and heartfelt moments shared between their favorite characters from the previous movies. The emotional scenes in the movie capture the intensity of the despair that the group feels after their friend is taken from them.

The group is abruptly submerged in a highly dangerous mission to rescue their friend and essentially save the world from WCKD; a mission that could easily cause them to lose their lives. This is made even more heartbreaking by the fact that the majority of the main characters are only teenagers. These are things that would affect any real person going through them, and I was glad that the film chose a more realistic approach to the common ‘end of the world’ trope.

An angsty film such as this one requires a talented cast in order to have the targeted effect on its audience. Maze Runner: The Death Cure did an incredible job casting its main role, as Dylan O’Brien’s deep passion and impressive emotional range made Thomas the courageous and memorable character that he is. The entire cast was wonderfully chosen, and incredible actors such as Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito and Love Actually’s Thomas Brodie-Sangster brought real emotion and depth into the characters.

Though it takes place at the end of the world, Maze Runner: The Death Cure finds a way to paint stunning images across the screen. The film displays some truly breathtaking shots that perfectly encapsulate the tragically beautiful remains of a broken world.

Overall, the film is a stunning outro to the beloved series that has topped box office charts time and time again. It highlights many powerful themes such as teamwork, family, and the idea that you should always fight for what you believe in. If you’re looking for a movie to watch with action, heart, and well-developed characters, this is most definitely the movie for you.

About the Writer

Aneesa Anderson is a senior at Durant High School and a PawPrint Newspaper staffer. She is on the Photo Team for the PawPrint, and is also a Staff Writer....