Durant High School Journalism

• Class of 2019 Graduation is May 23

• Senior Breakfast is May 20 at DHS

• Senior Exams will be held May 16 & 17

Wrestling Star Diagnosed with Leukemia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wrestling Star Diagnosed with Leukemia

Wrestler Roman Reigns

Wrestler Roman Reigns

Wrestling News World

Wrestler Roman Reigns

Wrestling News World

Wrestling News World

Wrestler Roman Reigns

Jordan Dabbour, Staff Writer & Social Media Coordinator

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) star Leati Joseph Anoa’i, better known under his ring name, Roman Reigns, has been diagnosed with Leukemia as it has come back for the second time. Reigns stated on WWE’s television show, Monday Night Raw, that he had been battling Leukemia for eleven years and unfortunately, it has come back. At the time, Reigns was the world champion on the Raw brand as he was the Universal champion. He tried to be a fighting champion, but with his Leukemia coming back, he was forced to relinquish the Universal title.

Reigns had many major accomplishments throughout his career in WWE, as he won the 2015 thirty-man Royal Rumble match, he was a three-time WWE champion, a WWE Intercontinental champion, a WWE United States champion, a WWE tag team champion with his Shield teammate, Seth Rollins, and a Universal champion. He made his debut on November 18, 2012 at the WWE Survivor Series Pay-Per-View with his Shield teammates, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose, in which they attacked former WWE superstar, Ryback.

On June 2, 2014, the Shield confronted Randy Orton and COO of the company, Triple H, until Seth Rollins turned on Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose. This led to Rollins winning the 2014 Money in the Bank Ladder Match. At WrestleMania 31, in the main event, it was Roman Reigns challenging WWE champion Brock Lesnar. Then during the match, Rollins seized the opportunity and cashed in his Money in the Bank contract and pined Reigns to win the title. Later that year, Rollins suffered a legitimate knee injury which took him out of action until May of 2016.

At WrestleMania 32, Roman Reigns won the WWE title by defeating Triple H. At Survivor Series 2016, the Shield briefly reunited as they hit their signature move, the triple powerbomb, ripping straight through an announcer’s desk onto opponent AJ Styles.

On October 9, 2017 the Shield fully reunited taking out the Miz, Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel. Then Ambrose suffered an elbow injury and was out of action for almost a year.

On Monday Night Raw on August 20, 2018, the Shield returned to help Roman Reigns and prevented Braun Strowman from cashing in his Money in the Bank contract and on October 22, 2018, Reigns had announced he was diagnosed with leukemia for the second time. Later in the night, Rollins and Ambrose challenged Drew McIntyre and Dolph Ziggler for the Raw tag team titles dedicating the match to Roman Reigns. Rollins and Ambrose would go on to win the Raw tag team titles and then out of nowhere, Dean Ambrose turned his back on Seth Rollins with the Shield breaking up as a group once and for all.

This dominant trio in WWE history might go down as one of the best factions in wrestling history. Reign will be missed from the WWE.

About the Writer
Jordan Dabbour, Social Media Coordinator & Staff Writer

Jordan Dabbour is a sophomore at Durant High School and is Social Media Coordinator and Staff Writer for the PawPrint newspaper. He is an avid sports fan,...